Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Diannibal

I made this for one of my favorite patients Diane, she has metastatic lung cancer and recently has been hospitalized b/c she has lesions in her brain that are bleeding out. She has a major headache and now is undergoing radiation treatment to her brain. She is the funniest, most out-spoken patient, I love talking to her and her family. I went and visited her in the hospital and she told the story of her having to get fitted for a mask prior to radiation. I could never, NEVER tell a story like Diane, anyways you have to know first that she is deathly claustrophobic, she requires 4 mg of ativan to even get in an enclosed machine, anyways to shorten the story she had to be strapped down and had a thin plastic material that formed to her face to make the form for the mask. She said they strapped her down and she felt like Hannibal and after they finished making the mask she looked like Hannibal. She has a knack of making the worst situation sooooo funny. While looking at the lesions in her brain she saw one spot in her brain, that looked like an alien, who she named Bob, and now is constantly talking about Killing Bob, one appendage at a time and that he is the one causing all of her headache trying to get out of her brain as they fry him!!! I have tried to "win" several of the Anya competitions and I was soooo excited to post them to see if I could win, but this card I made for Diane and no matter if I win or lose, I know she loves the card.
I used the Chef and made him, a her with on the farm girl, from who I cut off her pig tails, (b/c Diane doesn't have much hair and wears a do-rag), and I used Dorothy's head and cut off one of her pig tails (b/c I rock the side pony with a flower in my hair) and use the nurse Anya's body and included a syringe of Ativan with 4 mg's of Ativan for Diane. I drew the mask and attached some straps that you can't see, and on the inside I drew an alien and a machine that zaps Bob. I went with some black stars b/c of the constant headache and the checkered paper, b/c we all know what Hannibal is known for and Diane also loves to eat, and I don't mean that it a bad way!!! She'll tell you she's a big girl and that's why she requires that much ativan!!!! I have smiled at least 8 times just writ ting this. The Dr. I work for told me I need to not think of my patients when I leave work, and it mad me upset, b/c I feel that's what makes me who I am and I know that we are all dying and that no one knows when thier time is, but it's never to late to show people that you care and this is my way of coping. It also relieves my stress and makes people happy, so I am going to keep doing it!!!! Just b/c his a Dr. doesn't mean I have to listen to him!!! :P I hope you all give your loved ones a hug tonight and be thankful everyday for what you have!!!!!!

40 comments:

Heather said...

Your project is such an awesome tribute! Great job. Thank you for sharing her story with us!

Danni said...

I'm sure she'll love this!! What a wonderful story to share!

Gabby said...

This is such a special projects! I'm sure she'll love it!

Kim said...

Amazing story and card, she is going to love it!

Zarah said...

Ooooh... Wow - what a story...!! The card is so cute - she'll love it!! :D

Creepy Glowbugg said...

Fantastic! The story is very touching as well.

Wendy said...

Such a sweet idea! I'll say a prayer for your patient. Great job on your card!!

Carol said...

BRILLIANT

Maureen said...

How super creative!! I'm sure she'll love it!

Janna said...

Well I think this card is amazing and I know that making cards that the person will love is the most important part! I am so glad Dianne like this! It is just amazing and you did a great job of altering the anyas to make them work for your theme! Beatiful coloring and the layotu is perfect! You are truly and amazing nurse and person Emily!

Smiles,
janna

Rachel said...

Gorgeous Coloring...love it.

Tina Mayo said...

wow.. scary scary Ian..lol

Lynda Nielsen said...

Oh my, what a story, thank you for sharing it with us. So special. Give Diane big hugs, and now for your card, I LOVE the way you used chef Ian, and Rock the Farm Anya, and that mask, how funny. It's great I love it! =)
Hugs
Lynda =)

Peggy said...

What a sweet card and lovely story about your friend!

~*Joni said...

Okay, I am going to stop blog hopping right now to let you know how much I truly appreciated your story and your card. As a mom of a 4yo cancer survivor, I completely understand how humor helps relieve a serious moment. You are an angel for being her friend and confidante. She'll appreciate you more than you'll ever realize. The staff at Children's Hospital is family to us. Her humor is awesome, your friendship is priceless. Thank you for all that you do. :D

The Greeting Farm said...

This is sooo awesome!

Jessica Diedrich said...

This is just priceless. Notonly is it a great creative card but what a sweet, touching story! Awww that is so awesome and what a blessing you are! Thanks so much for sharing this card and that story!

Kim said...

What a nice story! You did such a nice job. You put amazing detail into it.

kadie said...

I'm always amazed when people can stare a difficult situation right in the face and be an inspiration to all those they encounter. This is such a sweet tribute and really shows you care. I'm sure she was really touched and got a good chuckle out of it too. On a side note...I really like how you cropped of a pigtail on Dorothy...I was thinking, is this an Anya I haven't seen?? Very cool.

Tammi said...

Aww...this made me teary at the end, what a special person you are and so thoughtful to make her this! Thanks so much for sharing. (hugs)

Melyssa said...

Your friend will love your card. Thanks for sharing your story.

Randi said...

Emily you have such a big heart! This card will be sure to bring a smile.

Your card is incredible, and, your creativity is endless!!

I wore my hair in a side pony all through junior high! ;o)

Best wishes for your patient.

Robin said...

Great card!!

Heather Schlatter said...

Hey Girlie!!!

Wow 22 comments so far!!! I think I might have like 4!!! I love that you made this card with that story in mind and I am so glad you shared it!!!

I think this card is a wonderful tribute to diana and I think it will be in the running for most altered or most wild that is for sure!!!

You did an amazing job on this even if you did not really try to win!!!

Heather

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

What a wonderful tribute!
How very sweet of you :)
TFS!

KanataNewf said...

Such a special project. I am sure she loved it!

Melissa Craig said...

Very cool card and very cool what you're doing for her. Big hugs to Dianne and lots of prayers. I hope Bob will leave her alone and give her much needed relief from the pain.

Mary Giles said...

Your are going to be Dianne's favorite person. Thank you for sharing the story and the fabulous card.

Sara Henton said...

That is such a sweet story and what a nice thing to do. I really like what you did with Dorothy's hair, gonna have to try that.

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Yes, I always say "But by the grace of God, there go I." I'm glad your friend has a sense of humor in all this... it's beyond horrible to have to face such an illness and treatment. Bless you for helping her get through it.

Sandra MacLean said...

Ok, when I first looked at your card I was a little horrified, then I HAD to read your post and now I've decided it is the perfect card for Diana!! This is ingenious!!! Great job Emily!

Janet said...

great card emily! such a fitting tribute:)
hugs

Unknown said...

Awesome job. I am always amazed at the resiliance of some cancer patients. She sounds amazing and I'm sure she will treasure the card...all the details & thought you put into it. Fabulous.

Lindsay said...

i love the hannibal lecter thing you got going on taht is awesome and that is a wonderful story to go along with it. I imagine she got a laugh out of that one which makes card making worth it! great job i hopeyou win

Kerry said...

Thanks for sharing this special project. I will be thinking of Diane. {hugs}

Angela Knopf said...

Thanks for sharing the special story that complements such a special card.

Tanya said...

She is gonna love this :) Great Job!!!

DG said...

What a beautiful thing you have done for your patient. The story made me have tears and you are a lovely person to do what you do. And hey Mom's are always right not Doctors :p lol

stampingcaz said...

WOW amazing card for an amazing lady. Cazx

crafty amy said...

Hee hee this is so cool I love it very very clever idea

X Amy X

My younger brother Noah and Easont

My younger brother Noah and Easont

Driving Lessons

Driving Lessons

Say Cheese!!

Say Cheese!!

My Sympathy Card

My Sympathy Card

Another unclear pic....

Another unclear pic....

My Thankyou Card

My Thankyou Card

Jewerly

Jewerly

Easton and his friend at the Zoo

Easton and his friend at the Zoo

LOVE

LOVE
Easton and a friend

Noah and My Dad

Noah and My Dad

Easton's big catch

Easton's big catch

get well card

get well card

boho background card

boho background card

birthday card

birthday card